Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Big Ride

Something that my cousin's and I had talked about at the family BBQ a year ago, something big, we did it.  What an epic ride for us weekend warrior old guys.  We just completed the  Seattle To Portland cascade, STP, some 205 miles, 360 kms over two days.  In the picture, that's me (far left), Albert, Abby, Yvonne and Ken.

Just an idea a year ago, we all took turns egging each other on to start riding and committing to the ride. At this stage of our lives, we all could afford fancy new shiny carbon bikes and comically, just imagine a bunch of  50+ year olds wearing biking tights, ok, not a good image.  We really started training hard together in March.  

Being a data geek myself, I track all activities through my garmin devices (yes, I have a number of them).  This year, I road some 3700+ kms, over 200 hours, 30,000 meters of elevation burning some 86 thousand calories.  A very nice surprise is that I lost some 15lbs through the process, very nice.  

When I look back, it's not just the STP I'll remember most, but all the training rides, the coffee breaks, the conversations, the team work "pulling the train"  and most importantly deepening my relationships and friendship with my cousins.  Thank you cousins! I'm so proud of all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment