Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The games are just about here!

 In a few days, the 2010 Olympics will begin.  There's a real buzz in the air.  The torch has almost arrived.  The athletes have arrived.  Tourists are flooding in.  Things are starting to happen all over town.  The excitement is building.  

Vancouver had been voted  multiple times, one of the most livable cities in the world.  But as with most big cities, we also have our problems, big problems.  Even more so with the economy as it is.  Homelessness, drugs, alcohol, gangs, violence, money,  poverty and the many many other issues.  We have hard problems to figure out.    Many of the 10 thousand reporters coming into the city are reporting on the many dichotomies of the games, of Vancouver of this nation.   That's ok, we need to look into the mirror and deal with it.  I can deal with that.

For me,  the Olympics are about our youth.  I really get inspired by our youth.  I hope the games stay focused on the youth, the human spirit and the higher ideals that we aspire to.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment