Monday, February 8, 2010

It's now Peddle Power

With a number of road and bridge closures in preparation for the Winter Olympics , it's now time to switch modes of transportation.  Driving around the city is becoming much harder.    I really can't bare to ride the crowded buses everyone else has switched to, so I've decided to bike it to/from work for 3 weeks until the Olympics are over Feb 28.

I started riding last Friday with the closure of 2 more bridges.   I switched from the luxury of my SUV to peddling a bike.  It seems a bit ridiculous to drive solo in a big gas guzzling SUV but that's how I got to work in the downtown core.  Although I am somewhat apprehensive about riding in bad whether,  I've committed to biking it, whatever the weather.  Lucky me, it's more like spring that winter, which is a bit of a problem for the Winter Olympics.  We've had our warmest January on record and February is just as warm so far.

I have to get up a little earlier.  Ride in the dark.  I come home a little later, a bit sweaty.  If I can do 3 weeks, I may try to ride a little more often.    On a real positive side, I'm getting two good workouts in and saving $15 per day.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment